* Inside Mercutio(pdf)
* Licensing Description
* Software License(pdf)
* Current version: 1.5.2
* Download Now!
* Release Notes
* Known Problems
* Version History
* Registered Users
* Technical Support
* Mailing Lists
* Report a Bug
Users: If you think your Mac is crashing because of an old
version of Mercutio in one of your apps, read the
GDevice Bug FAQ.
9/10/2001: Moved hosting services; anonymous FTP disabled
security reasons -- all downloads go over HTTP now.
11/30/2000: Updated snailmail address for license fees --
4/3/2000: Fixed broken links resulting from ISP switch.
5/28/98: Mercutio 1.5.2 released.
Fixes cosmetic problems with dark Kaleidoscope schemes and 3D borders
when the first or last item of a menu was dynamic. This release
is the MDEF only.
5/28/98: Published GDevice Bug FAQ,
geared towards end-users.
5/19/98: Mercutio 1.5.1 released.
Improves MacOS8 support under Appearance Manager 1.0.2 and fixes
cosmetic bugs. Mercutio 1.5 added MacOS8 support and fixed a GDevice
handle bug that could lead to crashes if Mercutio was used to
display popup menus.
The Mercutio MDEF is a Menu DEFinition resource that allow Macintosh developers
to easily and elegantly extend the power of their application menus:
Mercutio's features include:
A more complete overview describes the feature set in more detail.
The documentation, "Inside Mercutio",
and the Software License require
- Full keyboard support: all 4 modifier keys (command, shift, option, control) as well as non-printing keys (function keys, page up/down, arrow keys, etc).
- Dynamic items: items whose contents change depending on what modifier keys are being held down (e.g. when the option key is held down, "Save" becomes "Save All").
- Application callback routines to let you decide on the fly what the item contents should be.
- Full icon support: all types of icons, including icon suites, even under System 6. Supports small (16 x 16) and large (32 x 32) icons, including color icons, in all menu items (yes, hierarchical menu items as well).
- Support for non-western scripts, including right-to-left writing systems.
The current version of Mercutio is 1.5.2. You can
Cost and Registration
Mercutio is free to developers who give appropriate credit
and send us a copy of the final software. For details, read the
software license overview.
Mercutio is being used in a number of existing Macintosh applications.
To see a partial list, check out the registered
user listing. If you are a developer using Mercutio who hasn't registered,
you can do so now using this registration form.